Education: It is estimated that around 150 million worldwide are homeless.
To raise awareness of homeless people’s needs and to provide opportunities for communities to get involved, October 10th has been marked as World Homeless Day.
Action: Locally, Haircuts with Heart will engage our professional community of hairstylists in a conversation about the issue of homelessness in our community and what they can do to support our efforts later in the year.
Event: This Fall we will be hosting a Salon Community Fundraiser/Mixer. Join us for some light nibbles and a glass of wine or sparkling water. We will also discuss what salons can do to be part of the change to end local homelessness.
We will hear from members of Haircuts with Heart’s Board of Directors, volunteers, and members of our community who have experienced homelessness. Tool Kits will be available for salon owners to take with them, so that they may also have an opportunity to host their own fundraiser/mixer at their salon and invite their salon community, in support of and with, Haircuts with Heart. Watch for the announcement of upcoming date.
Fundraising: The World Homeless Day’s website: worldhomelessday.org lists a few ways you can help this growing humanitarian issue:
- educate people about homeless issues
- celebrate and support local good works
- highlight local issues
- donate to local service providers
- volunteer and provide hands-on help
- thank volunteers with certificates and awards
- invite a guest speaker
- host a fundraiser
- Tweet #worldhomelessday @homelessday
If you are unsure of where to start, but are interested in helping, we are raising funds to expand our efforts and serve more of our local communities in need on October 10, 2019. There are many ways to give:
- A general gift – this gift makes it possible for us to offer our services;
- A tribute gift – this gift is made in honor or memory of a loved one, so that their legacy extends into the future;
- A workplace gift – this gift can be made through employee matching, volunteer support programs, or donations through payroll deductions. Click here to donate to Haircuts with Heart
We also wanted to share a few recent developments with you here:
We have a Matching Grant opportunity (in review) made possible by The Oakland Rotary – a club that focuses their efforts on making impactful lasting changes locally and serving humanitarian efforts globally.
We want to extend our reach further and offer our services to more people. In order to achieve this goal, we are fundraising to purchase a used van. This will allow us to reach not just people in our community but also people in neighboring communities. We are asking each salon to contribute $250.00 by wiring a check, or fundraise within your salon. Let your community know that you are supporting Haircuts with Heart.
All donors that are able to donate $5,000.00 or more will have their logo or name placed on the van. Please, spread the word!!!